In my last post, I went deeper into the Synthesist view of the Divine, including what the Divine needs. Now I will narrow in on the Divine as deity.
Everything in the Universe is a unique manifestation of the Divine. Since it is difficult for humans in their limited capacity to experience the inherent unity with the Divine and easy to feel isolated, it is helpful to establish a relationship with a personal deity. It can be difficult to relate to something so vast, that deity acts as a stepping stone to encountering the Divine. Also, deity can help you feel connection when you are physically alone as well as help you receive divine guidance. Deity brings us emotionally closer to the Divine. Notice the impact of the photo above compared to the images of galaxies in this blog.
What are deities? The Synthesist view is that deities are beings made of awareness, or consciousness, and energy. Many would call this combination “spirit.” Deities exist alongside us, but cannot be easily perceived because they are immaterial.
Despite this difficulty, everyone can meet and communicate with their personal deity. You can too! Below, I will share with you one method for meeting with your personal deity.
How to Meet Your Personal Deity
- Find a quite, peaceful space and time where you won’t be disturbed. Preferably a room with a locking door.
- Get in the mood for spiritual work. You may wish to play a recording of soft, repetitive drumming or other music designed for meditation to assist in reaching a theta brainwave state. You may wish to light a candle or smell a particular incense or oil that feels sacred to you.
- Get comfortable. Sit in your favorite chair or lie down. You want your body to feel as much ease as possible so it won’t distract you from your vision.
- Relax. Take some slow deep breaths in the nose and out the mouth. Move your awareness to every part of your body, clench the muscles there, and relax them on an exhale.
- Set your intention to meet your personal deity. Mentally or aloud say with intention, “I am ready to consciously meet my personal deity.” You may wish to repeat this a few times until you feel the openness of the intention throughout your being.
- Lie quietly and be open to what comes, no matter how subtle. You may experience sound, vision, touch or fragrance. Trust that whatever you experience is right for you at this time.
- Once you make contact, ask for a clear vision of the deity in a human form and the same gender identity as you (this helps with relatability). If the vision is muddy or confusing, ask your deity for help. Ask for a name to call your deity. If the name is too long or difficult to pronounce, ask for another name.
- When you have concluded, thank your personal deity by name and in whatever way feels best to you.
- Allow yourself to slowly become more aware of your body and the room.
- Record your experience through drawing, journaling, or audio recording. Be certain to include any sensations you had and any questions that have come up that you’d like to ask your deity in the next encounter.
The more you meet with your personal deity, the more confident you will be in interpreting their guidance. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself encountering your deity in different ways.
If you tried the method above and got nothing but disappointment, that’s okay. Some barriers to meeting with your personal deity include:
- Expectations. This is difficult, but if you go in with an idea of who your personal deity is, what they look like, and how they will act, you might be surprised or disappointed. Try to be as open as possible.
- Disbelief in your ability to meet your personal deity. This mindset of “I can’t do it!” hinders any activity. To put it simply, if you believe you can’t communicate with your personal deity, then that will be true.
- Resistance to meeting your personal deity. Most commonly the resistance is the typical fear of the unknown. Some people worry that they won’t have a “good” experience.
- Excessive thoughts or high anxiety in the moment. These act like static drowning out the divine signal.
- Limiting yourself to channels that are difficult to you. You can receive messages from your personal deity through many different channels: visions awake or asleep, sounds, feeling physical sensations, scents, hearing within your head, and insights where you suddenly know something like it was dropped into your mind.
- Limiting yourself to myths and stories of the experiences of others. Your experience of your personal deity is not “wrong” or less valid if their name is absent from books or websites. Don’t worry if there is no record of your personal deity. The Divine has infinite manifestations so your personal deity might not have been encountered before.
You might want to create a personal shrine to your deity by creating a drawing, painting, collage, sculpture, or other visual representation. Be flexible in creating your image of your personal deity. You can change that image when it no longer works for you. It is whatever you need at the time; it can grow with you.
Please comment and let me know what you think! What was unclear? What was helpful? Your questions help me to further clarify this view.
Next time, I will explore human nature and purpose through the Synthesist lens. I post a new installment every two Saturdays.
If you enjoyed reading this post, please recommend and share it to help others find it!